What Should I Preach Before We Break Ground?
post date: May 28, 2010
But what should you preach leading up Groundbreaking Sunday? There really isn’t a wrong answer to that question. After thinking about it, here is my answer:
Congratulations on the groundbreaking. That’s a huge step forward for you and for your congregation. Let me tell you the first thing that popped into my mind:Preach about the glory of God.
Tell them about the goodness of the Lord.
Give them a mighty God to worship.If they’ve been waiting this long, I wouldn’t think you have to do much to inspire them. If you proclaim a great God who can be trusted to do amazing things, they will rightly see this groundbreaking as evidence of his bountiful kindness to them.So maybe Isaiah 40.
Or Revelation 22.
Or Psalm 96.
Or Romans 11:33-36.If you give them a great God to worship, this will move them from “Look at our new building” to “Look at our great God.” And the celebration will never end.That’s what I would do.Hope this helps.Blessings—and enjoy this happy time.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Lessons of Church History – June 4, 2010
- Elijah Book Featured in Masterwork Curriculum – June 4, 2010
- Did I Make the Right Decision? – June 3, 2010
- Don’t Be Greedy – June 3, 2010
- Can I Serve the Lord Through My New Business? – June 1, 2010
- Two “Radical” Books – May 31, 2010
- “It Is Well With My Soul” by the Isaacs – May 30, 2010
- Are We Too Fond of Our Own Will? – May 29, 2010
- An Unexpected Letter – May 28, 2010
- Matt Chandler Preaches the Gospel – May 27, 2010