Pursuing God’s Plan for Marriage
post date: January 28, 2011In Genesis 2:23-24 we’re shown that part of God’s plan for marriage is for the new couple to leave their families and to be united together. We are to leave our parents emotionally and physically and financially in order to form a new family with our mate. What this doesn’t mean is that we are to ignore our parents or discard their wisdom once the wedding reception is over. Instead, we should be passionately pursuing God’s plan for marriage while graciously pursuing a new and different relationship with our parents.
This might mean, as a parent, you remove financial assistance or that you call once a week instead of daily conversations. For the newlywed couple, it might mean that you stop taking money from your parents or decide that a call once a week is enough for now. How that pursuit looks will be different in each situation and will change over time. So be patient, talk about it, and extend grace to each other.
The bottom line is that when we pursue God’s plan for our lives, God is pleased, and we are blessed.
For a more information take a look at this sermon by Pastor Ray:
Answered by Mark Pritchard
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Mr. Success Meets Jesus – February 7, 2011
- Painting the Sistine Chapel – February 6, 2011
- Don’t Rush the River – February 5, 2011
- Be a Link This Week – February 4, 2011
- Testimony of a Heroin Addict – February 3, 2011
- Created From Dust – February 2, 2011
- Sovereign Serendipity – January 30, 2011
- Just Call Me Grandpa – January 27, 2011
- Does God Get Upset When We Disobey? – January 25, 2011
- A Visit to the Anchor Book Depot – January 22, 2011