The Promise of His Presence
post date: December 12, 2018
“I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5).We all have burdens and concerns that keep us awake at night:What will tomorrow bring?
Will our health hold up or will we have a heart attack or a sudden stroke?
Will we end up in a nursing home or waste away in a hospital?
What about our children? Will they serve the Lord? What if something happens to them?
Who will take care of us in our old age?
Singles wonder if they will ever marry. Married couples look at all the divorces and wonder if they will make it.
Will we live to see our grandchildren?We all have concerns about our career choices, and we wonder where we will be in ten years.Here are three truths that ought to encourage us as we think about our worries over the future:1. Don’t worry about tomorrow because God is already there. He is the God who goes before his people.
2. God promises to be with you no matter what happens to you tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and all the days after that. You cannot outlive God’s goodness.
3. You can live without worry because God has you on his heart at this very moment. He will not forget you; indeed, he cannot forget you.To all our fears the Lord simply says, “I am with you always.”Christians ought to be optimistic as we face tomorrow. We have a great future because we have a great God who has promised to never leave us.Here’s a simple exercise to remember this truth. Hold up your hand and repeat these five words: “I will never leave you,” touching a different finger each time. Say it and then repeat it. Let the five fingers remind you of those five words that make a grand promise to every child of God. No matter where you go this week, your Heavenly Father goes with you. He will never leave nor forsake you. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.He is with you when you feel his presence, and he is with you when you feel nothing at all. Don’t go by your feelings because your feelings can mislead you. Remember God’s promise. He is with you right now, he will be with you tomorrow, and he will be with you forever.So chin up, child of God. Stop staring in the soup. Pull those shoulders back. Put a smile on your face. Take your troubles, wrap them up in a box, and give them all to the Lord.Forgive me, Lord, for doubting your presence. Thank you for being there, in the fiery furnace, just when I need you most. Amen. Musical bonus: The students of Fountainview Academy have produced a lovely version of O Come, All Ye Faithful.Click here to sign up for the free email sermons.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Good Words for Today: December 22 – December 22, 2018
- The Promise of Peace – December 22, 2018
- Dec 21 Advent Devos: "The Promise of Glory" – December 21, 2018
- The Promise of Glory – December 21, 2018
- Good Words for Today: December 21 – December 21, 2018
- New Podcast: "Lessons from the Manger" – December 20, 2018
- Dec 20 Advent Devos: "The Promise of an Eternal Home" – December 20, 2018
- The Promise of an Eternal Home – December 20, 2018
- Good Words for Today: December 20 – December 20, 2018
- Our 2018 Christmas Card – December 19, 2018