The Day Jonathan Edwards Got Fired
post date: June 23, 2009Jonathan Edwards was voted out as pastor of the church in Northampton, Massachusetts.The vote was 230 to dismiss him, 23 to keep him as pastor.
That’s 10-1 against him.
That’s after being the pastor at Northampton for 23 years.
I should add one point. Many people consider Jonathan Edwards the greatest theologian America has ever produced. His works are read and studied to this day around the world. Some of his greatest writing was done after he was voted out.
One writer said that his joy in God was so great that opposition and misunderstanding could not destroy his faith. That’s a fine legacy to leave behind.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Tuesday at Gull Lake – June 30, 2009
- Gull Lake Morning – June 28, 2009
- On Our Way to Gull Lake – June 27, 2009
- Jesus Not Welcome in PA House – June 26, 2009
- How to Catch a Stolen Snake – June 26, 2009
- No Regrets – June 25, 2009
- Radio Today – June 24, 2009
- 7674 Copies So Far – June 23, 2009
- Roadmaps for Worship – June 23, 2009
- My Father, My Sons – June 21, 2009