Reading the 8s
post date: October 8, 2008
Now to make this more interesting, I intentionally don’t have a plan for each succeeding day. Tomorrow it might be 2 Kings 9, Ezekiel 9, Romans 9, and Hebrews 9. I usually read at least three chapters. But if the Lord speaks to me powerfully through the first chapter I read, I stop right there. This is a “no-guilt” reading plan because everything is from God’s Word, and I’m free to read as much or as little as I like each day.
As I look at my own life, I feel the need to get a broader grasp of the whole sweep of the Bible story. For many years I’ve tended to focus on little pieces here and there. This approach gives me constant variety.
Now there are some weaknesses to my program. Most of the New Testament epistles are quite short. If I don’t get to Colossians in the first four days of the month, I won’t get to it until next month. But here’s where my self-analysis comes in. I think I’ve spent too little time reading the longer books of the Bible, especially the longer books of the Old Testament.
And what about books that have more than 30 or 31 chapters? For Psalms I break it up into 30-chapter units. So my Psalms reading this month will come from Psalms 61-90. You can do similar things for Isaiah and Jeremiah, and so on.
No plan is perfect, and no plan works forever—for me, at least. But this reading plan gives me freedom, variety, and a sense of order because all I have to do is look at the calendar and say, “Today I’m reading the 8s."
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Three Years Ago—Then and Now – October 17, 2008
- The Real Hero of the Bible – October 16, 2008
- Prince Edward Island—Where’s That? – October 15, 2008
- A Pop Quiz—Seven Quick Questions – October 14, 2008
- Notes to the Keep Believing Family – October 13, 2008
- Too Short and Too Long Not to Laugh – October 12, 2008
- How to Pray for Your Grandchildren – October 11, 2008
- Time to Close Our Eyes – October 10, 2008
- “I want to see my husband—and Jesus” – October 9, 2008
- Cannon Beach Slideshow – October 7, 2008