Quiet Hints, Chapter 25–"Eagles, Race-horses and Plodders”
post date: February 15, 2010
Notes taken from Quiet Hints to Growing Preachers by Charles E. Jefferson, Chapter 25, “Eagles, Race-horses and Plodders.”
The high art of walking is one which the minister must master.
He must have a genius for plodding.
The clergyman who is able to trudge bravely through the years, filling the months with quiet honest work, pressing himself close upon his people and holding his people and himself close to the heart of Christ may cause little stir in the world but he will make an impression which will be felt in heaven.
But this gift of plodding has not been given to all men. . . . If a man does not possess it let him keep out of the ministry.
A minister itching for public recognition not only makes himself ridiculous but throws suspicion on all his brethren.
It is the misfortune of ministers who want to fly like eagles that most of them have only the wings of a more humble bird.
Some men are always running races and attract the public notice by their snorting and perspiration.
Fame is nothing, publicity is nothing, popularity is nothing, serving God by helping men is all.
Most of the best preaching is done in pulpits which have no halo around them in the public eye.
My brother, if you are capable of walking without fainting, thank God and take courage.
Other men may astonish the nation by flying over every celebration, but at the end of the day you having sown precious seed will come home rejoicing bringing your sheaves with you.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Don Gerig – February 24, 2010
- Samson Podcasts Start This Week – February 23, 2010
- 40-40-40 – February 17, 2010
- Mike Huckabee on the Radio This Morning – February 17, 2010
- What Are You Looking For? – February 17, 2010
- Quiet Hints, Chapter 26–"Unconscious Decay” – February 16, 2010
- Emerson Eggerichs on the Radio Today – February 15, 2010
- Quiet Hints, Chapter 24–"Near to Men Near to God” – February 14, 2010
- Quiet Hints, Chapter 23–"Books and Reading” – February 13, 2010
- Leaning is Believing – February 12, 2010