Just Call Me Grandpa
post date: January 27, 2011
When I was young my father’s parents were known as “Poppa Pritchard” and “Momma Pritchard.” On my mother’s side, her parents were known as “Grandpa Poduska” and “Grandma Poduska.»These days there are many choices, names like PawPaw, PeePaw, Pop, Poppie, or Boppa. Or on the other side you could have Gram, Grammy, Big Mom, Grams, MeeMaw, Nana, and so on. I just took an online test and discovered that my preferred name should be PawPaw. Maybe it’s because I said I want my grandsons to play football.
After that friend asked the question, Marlene and I discussed the matter for a few minutes, realizing that we needed to have an answer before Knox was born. Without much effort, we decided to go with grandpa and grandma. Not too fancy, but it works for us. Having waiting longer than many people do, I’m happy (delighted would be more like it) to be a grandfather. Grandpa seems about right for me. And Marlene makes a beautiful grandmother. Together we’re grandpa and grandma, but when our grandchildren call us, we’ll answer to almost anything.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Painting the Sistine Chapel – February 6, 2011
- Don’t Rush the River – February 5, 2011
- Be a Link This Week – February 4, 2011
- Testimony of a Heroin Addict – February 3, 2011
- Created From Dust – February 2, 2011
- Sovereign Serendipity – January 30, 2011
- Pursuing God’s Plan for Marriage – January 28, 2011
- Does God Get Upset When We Disobey? – January 25, 2011
- A Visit to the Anchor Book Depot – January 22, 2011
- Preparation – January 21, 2011