Inside the Wedding Ring
post date: April 21, 2007We have just posted a new sermon called Inside the Wedding Ring. Here’s an excerpt:That’s as good a summary as I’ve ever heard. People can smell the joy on Sunday morning. And they can smell the other stuff too. Sometimes it’s easy to smell the manure of church conflict. Most of us have had the experience of visiting a new church and without knowing anything about it, we sense that something is wrong inside the church. People look distraught, upset, flat, disinterested, and sometimes you can feel the tension in the air.During the course of my ministry, I have been on both sides of the fence regarding the “spirit of unity," mostly on the happy side. I know what it is to be in a congregation where the people love each other and where there is a sense of love, joy, peace and harmony. And I know what it is like to go to church when the people don’t like each other anymore. I know what it is to pastor a church filled with rumors, gossip and unkind accusation. I’ve been to church on Sunday morning and felt the tension and seen the angry faces. I know how painful that can be. My experience as a pastor and now as one who speaks in many churches has led me to these five conclusions:
1) Unity is a precious gift from God.
2) Where unity is present, all things are possible.
3) When a church is divided, nothing works right.
4) Unity is easily lost and hard to regain.
5) True unity does not happen by accident. We must pray for it, and we must work at it.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Lee Roberson Now With the Lord – April 30, 2007
- Amazing NBBI – April 28, 2007
- Saint Evel – April 27, 2007
- Bill O’Reilly Doesn’t Quite Get It – April 25, 2007
- Create in Me a Clean Heart – April 25, 2007
- Was Jesus Mean? – April 24, 2007
- A Prayer for Every Day – April 23, 2007
- Two Radio Interviews – April 19, 2007
- The Evil in Our Midst – April 18, 2007
- The Satanic Nature of Evil – April 17, 2007