Day 1 at the Values Voter Summit
post date: September 17, 2010
This meeting is co-sponsored by a variety of conservative culture-change groups, such as the Family Research Council, the Heritage Foundation, Liberty University, and the American Family Association (AFA). I’m here because I’m an AFA board member and because they are honoring Don Wildmon, founder of the American Family Association, with a Lifetime Achievement Award on Saturday night. I think AFA has the largest delegation here, somewhere in the range of 80-90 people. We’ve been running into Tupelo folks wherever we turn. It’s Washington with a Southern accent.
Lots of conservative leaders are coming to the conference, including such notables as Mike Huckabee, Sean Hannity, Newt Gingrich, the aforementioned Christine O’Donnell, Senator Jim DeMint, Janet Parshall and Bill Bennett.
In my wandering around the exhibit area I’ve been impressed with the number of young people in the 18-30 age range. They come here to get training in how make a difference in the public policy area.
I’m on the radio today from 10 AM-12 Noon CT on American Family Radio. Our first guests will be Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, from the show “19 Kids and Counting.” If you don’t know they are, ask your kids. I think the whole family is here.
There’s always lots to do and lots and to see in our nation’s capital. I’m hoping we can get out and about a little bit while we’re here. Needless to say, this is not our usual venue. I don’t think we’ve ever attended a conference like this before, and I don’t write much about politics on the weblog. But from time to time it’s fun to visit the folks who work in this arena.
That’s the news from Washington, DC. I hope to post a few pictures as the conference goes forward.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Sermon Video: “Our Coming to You Was Not in Vain” – September 26, 2010
- New Video: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? – September 25, 2010
- Bad things, good people – September 24, 2010
- Maybe the Best Prisoner Letter We’ve Ever Received – September 24, 2010
- When You’re On the Internet, You’re In Our Neighborhood – September 23, 2010
- Forgiveness and the Christian – September 22, 2010
- The Danger of Moderate Success – September 21, 2010
- Radio interview with Jim Bob Duggar of “19 Kids and Counting” – September 20, 2010
- Root of Pornography – September 20, 2010
- The Great Don Wildmon – September 19, 2010