post date: April 10, 2014
Some people admire him but they don’t worship him.
Others respect him but they don’t trust him.
Some people don’t care for him at all. The world stumbles over Jesus because it has no use for him. Peter says it in some startling ways:
1) The religious leaders (the builders) rejected him.
2) But God made him the Savior of the world anyway.
3) Christ causes men to stumble because they choose to disobey.
There is a warning here that we must not miss. The same stone that saves some causes others to stumble. Twice Peter uses the word “precious” to describe Jesus (1 Peter 2:4, 6). But to the world, Jesus is not precious at all. You can’t tell the value of something just by checking popular opinion. The world was wrong about Jesus 2000 years ago, and the world is still wrong about him today. You cannot be neutral about Jesus. He will save you or he will crush you, and there is no third choice.
Jesus is not only the cornerstone, he is also the touchstone of history. Now that he has been revealed from heaven, no one can avoid him. That’s one reason unbelievers often grow frustrated. They keep coming face to face with Jesus and they don’t know what to do with him. They stumble and fall over him, and sometimes you want to say, “Man! Open your eyes. That’s the Cornerstone you’re stumbling over.”
What is Jesus to you? Is he your cornerstone or is he still a stumbling stone? What is the foundation of your life? Build it on Jesus and you will never be disappointed. You will never be moved, you will never be toppled, and you will never be put to shame.
Lord Jesus, in this shaky world you are the Cornerstone of the ages. Help us to build our lives upon the foundation that will never be moved. Amen.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- A Dead Man Named Jesus – April 19, 2014
- The One They Have Pierced – April 18, 2014
- Man of Sorrows – April 17, 2014
- Check Out These Five Easter Weekend Programs – April 16, 2014
- Mediator – April 16, 2014
- Fountain – April 15, 2014
- The Final Days of Jesus – April 14, 2014
- Our Passover Lamb – April 14, 2014
- Fragrant Offering – April 13, 2014
- Apostle – April 12, 2014