All Saints Day
post date: November 1, 2007This is All Saints Day, one of the finest, most joyful days of the Christian year. It’s the day when we remember and give thanks for all true believers around the world, especially those who have gone before us into heaven. Evangelicals often pay little attention to the Christian year (for various reasons), but this is one holiday that should really be a "holy day" for us. For starters, make a mental list right of believers you know who are in heaven today. Do you have loved ones and friends who died in the Lord? Think of those saints of God who have passed from earth to heaven in the last 12 months. Remember them. It is biblical and right that we should not forget those who have entered the "Church Triumphant." Give thanks to God for their life and testimony. Let the memory of their faith inspire you to serve Christ today.I found this brief meditation by A. W. Pink on "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116:15). Here are three sermons that may help you focus on the promises of God that go beyond death:At Home With the Lord: What is the Christian View of Death?
Acorns to Oak Trees: How are the Dead Raised?
Inside the Pearly Gates: What Will We Do in Heaven?Here is a link to the words and music to one of my favorite hymns, For All the Saints. Make sure you have your speakers turned on so you can hear the soaring melody that goes with this triumphant hymn. We rarely sing this hymn–in fact, I can’t remember the last time we sang it in a service, but it has become a personal favorite. This verse especially stirs my soul:O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Rule # 1: Don’t Forget Your Passports – November 9, 2007
- Panera Bread and Facebook – November 8, 2007
- If I Believe, Why Do I Doubt? – November 8, 2007
- Trading Food for Books in Prison – November 7, 2007
- China Bans Bible for Olympic Athletes – November 6, 2007
- KBM Board Meeting Last Friday Night – November 5, 2007
- Wet Chilly This Morning – November 4, 2007
- Grant and Fern Brown – November 3, 2007
- Happy Birthday, Josh! – November 2, 2007
- The Last Big Push of the Year – November 1, 2007