34 Years Ago
post date: August 22, 2008
Marlene and I were married 34 years ago today—on a hot Thursday night in Mesa, Arizona. Thirty-four years is a long time if you think about it—over 1/3rd of a century—so I try not to think about it. This morning Marlene looked on the Internet to see what symbol they use for your 34th anniversary—25 is silver, 50 is gold. I was slightly depressed when she told me that most lists go in five-year increments after the 25th year. You know you’ve been married a long time when they don’t even give you your own special symbol. Then she said she found a list that said the 34th is opal. Somehow that made me smile—our Opal Anniversary.In any case I feel very blessed and lucky and happy today. Very shortly we are leaving to drive to Birmingham where we will spend the night in a boutique hotel that Mark and Vanessa discovered on their 1st anniversary in July. I guess that’s another sign—when you figure out how to celebrate by watching what your kids do. Anyway, we’ll see Nick later today—and that’s another sign—when you mark important dates by making sure you get to see your children.
I think we’re about ready to leave for Birmingham. I’m sort of in a rush, which more or less describes the last 34 years. It doesn’t seem that long at all. Time flies when you’re having a good time, and we’ve had a very good time together ever since that happy night in Arizona.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Keep Believing Northern Ireland – August 31, 2008
- Tracking Hurricane Gustav – August 31, 2008
- It’s Football Time – August 30, 2008
- A Dying Pastor’s Final Message – August 30, 2008
- Twenty-Five Affirmations About Forgiveness – August 29, 2008
- Be Thou My Vision – August 28, 2008
- The Expulsive Power of a New Affection – August 27, 2008
- Sleeping Together and Christ’s Global Cause – August 26, 2008
- Preaching Notes – August 25, 2008
- Dr. Todd Wilson – August 24, 2008