Good Words for Today: December 28
December 28, 2016
“He knows the way that I take. When he has tried me, I will come forth as gold” (Job 23:10).
Life is a journey with many twists and turns. As I approach my 65th birthday next year, I find that I believe in the sovereignty of God more than ever before. I have what I have because God has willed me to have it. I live where I live because God has willed me to live here. I was born in Tennessee, raised in Alabama, met my wife in Chattanooga, and we now live in Dallas–all of it by the hand of God. We have three sons, three daughters-in-law, and six grandchildren because God has willed it so.
Even my problems (which aren’t many) are apportioned to me by the hand of a loving God. I am what I am and who I am and where I am by the sovereign grace of God. That means there is no such thing as luck or fate or chance.
I heard about a little girl who, when asked what she had learned in Sunday School, said that she had learned that “God never says ‘Oops!’” That’s comforting because we live in a world where mistakes are made all the time, often by well-meaning people.
As we wind up 2016, let’s say what Job said as we look to the future: “He knows the way that I take.” Be of good cheer. We can trust God with all our tomorrows because nothing that surprises us ever surprises him.
Do you have any thoughts or questions about this post? If you have a Facebook account, you may comment below:
Related blog posts
- Good Words for Today: January 1 – January 1, 2017
- Good Words for Today: December 31 – December 31, 2016
- My Books of the Year – December 31, 2016
- Good Words for Today: December 30 – December 30, 2016
- Ten Years On One Card – December 29, 2016
- Good Words for Today: December 29 – December 29, 2016
- White Rock Lake Update – December 27, 2016
- Good Words for Today: December 27 – December 27, 2016
- Good Words for Today: December 26 – December 26, 2016
- Immanuel: God With Us – December 25, 2016